Saturday, March 16, 2013

My New Favorite Thing

Hi all!! Two weeks ago I decided to make Pizzelles. My daughter gave me a Pizzelle maker for Christmas (something that I have always wanted) and I finally had the time to try it out. Now this iron came with two boxes of all ready to go Pizzelle mix so I thought for the first time I would use that to make it easier. But I also wanted to make some Cannoli's (my favorite) so I thought I would try this also, being the daring person that I am.
My new favorite toy!
 
So I went on the food network.com and found this fabulous recipe for the filling. (If you want the whole recipe go to http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/homemade-cannoli-recipe/index.html)

Filling:

  • 2 cups ricotta cheese, preferably whole milk
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup small semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 lemon
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting
For the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk the ricotta until smooth. Sift in the powdered sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Mix to blend. In a separate bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment), beat the heavy cream until fairly stiff. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the cream into the ricotta mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. Lightly zest the exterior of the lemon and stir it into the ricotta. Refrigerate for a half hour to an hour. Then use a pastry bag with the largest tip to fill Cannoli's.
 
Now the recipe that came with the iron says to wrap the hot Pizzelles around a metal tube to shape and then deep fry. As I am always trying to find the lighter side of things I decided not to deep fry but just wrap and cool before filling.
 
Turned out pretty good don't you think??
 
So I was going to a very good friends house for dinner this night and thought what a treat it would be to take some Cannoli's and Pizzelles. And may I add this mix tasted great. So I filled the Cannoli's with this yummy filling recipe and added some regular Pizzelles to the dish and what a big hit!
(Do not fill the Canoli's till your ready to serve as they will get soft and not stay firm, lesson learned)
 
Don't you just want to eat one!
 

I had so much fun making these that I made them for my daughter in law Jenn's Jewelry demonstration the next day and what a hit. The Cannoli's were gone in 10 minutes and the rest in 30 minutes. A definite make again recipe!!
 
Thus, my reason for the name of this blog "My New Favorite thing" Thank you Christa (my daughter) for bringing this happiness into my life.
 
And to incorporate my painting, which is another favorite thing that I love to do I am showing a nice dish to serve them on for Easter.
 
Give them a try, your gonna love them!




No comments:

Post a Comment